Joe Smith becomes the first male diver in Oakland history to qualify for the meet
Seven athletes were chosen out of 46 to be recognized by the Horizon League for their success both in competition and the classroom
The men finished with 731.5 points, while the women finished with 687.5
Joe Smith broke his own school record in the 1-meter dive
Smith placed first in the 1-meter and 3-meter diving competition on Friday
Oakland wins its 4th straight Horizon League Title
Six Golden Grizzlies won Horizon League titles
Oakland vs. Michigan State - Senior Day 1/23/17
▪ Named Horizon League Male Diver of the Year
▪ Horizon League Champion in the 1-meter (340.60) and 3-meter board (312.85)
▪ Became the first Oakland male diver to sweep diving at the Horizon League Championships
▪ Broke both the 1- and 3-meter diving school records with scores of 343.05 and 362.40 respectively on Jan. 28 against Cleveland State.
▪ Both records were the oldest standing records at Oakland, previously being held by Olympian Dario DiFazio in 1984
▪ Placed 16th with a total score of 605.40 on the 3-meter board and 25th with a score of 245.75 on the 1-meter board at the 2017 NCAA Zone C Diving meet
▪ Named Horizon League Male Diver of the Week on Dec. 6
▪ Placed 19th on the one-meter board (249.85) and 21st on the three-meter board (274.95) at the NCAA Zone Meet
▪ Placed third on the three-meter board (303.85) and eighth on the one-meter board (255.60) at Horizon League Championships
▪ Named Horizon League Male Diver of the Week twice on Nov. 17 and Jan. 26
▪ College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America Scholar All-American (2015-16)
▪ Horizon League Academic Honor Roll (Fall 2016)
▪ Horizon League Academic All-League selection (2016-17)
▪ Finished runner-up at the 2014 MHSAA State Meet as a junior, ninth as a sophomore in 2013 and 32nd as a freshman in 2012.
▪ Three-time academic letter
▪ National Honor Society
▪ Link Crew leadership group
▪ Youth Diversity Conference
Full Name: Joseph Alexander Smith
Birthdate: May 3, 1997
Parents: Darwin and Nancy Smith
▪ Father Darwin played football at Olivet College.
▪ Mother Nancy was a gymnast at Eastern Michigan University.
Siblings: Alyssa and Jordan
▪ Sister Alyssa played softball at Ferris State University.
Top Three Reasons for Choosing Oakland:
1. Great swimming and diving program
2. Good pre-med program
3. Close to home
|Smith Personal Bests|
|Event||2016-17 Top Score||Career Top Score|
|* 1-meter score is 1st in Oakland history|
|* 3-meter score is 1st in Oakland history|