ROCHESTER, Mich - Oakland track and field will continue its outdoor season this weekend at the Miami Duals, hosted by Miami of Ohio at the George L. Rider Track. The meet begins with field events at 9:30 a.m. followed by running events at 11 a.m. on Saturday.
2017 outdoor season highlights
- The Golden Grizzlies opened the outdoor season on March 24 and 25 at the North Carolina State Raleigh Relays and University of Tennessee Rust Buster.
- Kailey Weingartz set the school record in the 3000m steeplechase on the first day of the Raleigh Relays, placing ninth in the event with a time of 10:38.65. She’s currently ranked 20th in the nation for Division 1 in the event.
- Bryce Stroede followed her performance by breaking the school record in the 10000m (29:37.19) and placing 22nd.
- George O’Connor had the highest finish for the Golden Grizzlies at the Raleigh Relays, placing second in the 3000m steeplechase (9:05.82).
- Oakland continued with record-breaking performances at the Tennessee Rust Buster on March 25, with the men’s 4x100m relay team of Aaron Davis, Nicholas Girodat, Sheldon Drake and Corey Goodloe claiming first place in the event and breaking the previous school record by nearly a second with a time of 40.74.
- Davis also recorded Oakland’s lone first-place finish of the day in the 100m (21.25) and was named Horizon League Runner of the Week on Wednesday for his performance.
- Gino Vitella broke the school record in discus and finished fifth in the event (170 ft., 4 in.).