Oct. 19, 2012
ROCHESTER, Mich. - Brittni Hutton won the 3K event with a time of 10:51 and Jami Rodes finished in third with a time of 11:06 as the Oakland women's cross country team defeated Detroit-Mercy in a dual meet Friday at the Upper Fields on the campus of OU. The Golden Grizzlies won with a score of 21-40.
"This wasn't something we really had planned in our schedule this year, but I am really glad we did this," said head coach Paul Rice. "We needed a good workout like this going into a very important week next week. It is always nice to add some competition to a workout and having UDM there to add that element of a race atmosphere was great."
Oakland finished with six runners in the top half of the field with good performances by Lia Jones who finished fourth (11:07), Autumn Cleverley in sixth (11:10), Miranda Haas in seventh (11:11) and Hannah Scherer finished eighth (11:13).
"I think what we saw today shows us that we are right where we need to be at this point and now the key is to rest up for next week and make sure everyone is healthy going into the Summit League Championships," added Rice.
Both the men's and women's cross country teams will compete in The Summit League Championships next week at the Katke-Cousins Golf Course on the campus of OU. The women will begin at 10 a.m. and the men will start at 11 a.m.
1. Brittni Hutton (Oakland) - 10:51
2. Louisa Coppola (Detroit) - 10:52
3. Jami Rodes (Oakland) - 11:06
4. Lia Jones (Oakland) - 11:07
5. Katrina Oberski (Detroit) - 11:09
6. Autumn Cleverley (Oakland) - 11:10
7. Miranda Haas (Oakland) - 11:11
8. Hannah Scherer (Oakland) - 11:13
9. Sarah Oren (Oakland) - 11:15
10. Cassandra Peterson (Oakland) - 11:17
11. Sarah Martinez (Detroit) - 11:21
12. Sara Taylor (Detroit) - 11:30
13. Leigh Bravender (Oakland) - 11:39
14. Haley Morairty (Detroit) - 11:41
15. Rachel Hofsess (Detroit) - 12:12
16. Torrie Eger (Detroit) - 12:44