What a roller coaster. The Oakland men's basketball season is now officially over after today's announcement that the team has declined a pair of postseason invitations
The Grizzlies still sit in the top four in the Horizon League at 8-5, but they are down to eight scholarship players.
The senior guard suffered the injury Feb. 9 against Detroit Mercy
Tests revealed the sophomore point guard suffered a torn lateral meniscus Feb. 2 against UIC
The Golden Grizzlies will await first-place Wright State Sunday at 2 p.m. in Dayton
Oakland vs. Detroit Mercy (1/20/2018) Calihan Hall, Detroit, Mich.
Oakland at UIC
Oakland vs. Wright State (1/7/2018) O'rena
The Oakland men's basketball team faced Eastern Michigan for the second time this month as they welcomed the Eagles to the O'rena Friday, Dec. 22.
Oakland vs. Kansas (11/24/17)
▪ Appeared in 24 games, making 15 starts
▪ Suffered season-ending knee injury (torn lateral meniscus in his left knee) on Feb. 2 against UIC.
▪ Finished the season ranking ninth all-time in Oakland history in career assists per game (4.06).
▪ Led the Horizon League in assists per game at 5.5.
▪ Led the team in assists (133) which ranked third in the Horizon League
▪ Registered 10 assists or more in three games, which led the Horizon League
▪ Recorded first career double-double against Texas Southern on Nov. 30 (22 points, 13 assists)
▪ His 13 assists against Texas Southern was the most in a single game during the season among Horizon League players
▪ Made the game-tying free throws with seven seconds remaining against Oral Roberts to send to overtime (Oakland won 93-86)
▪ Before his injury on Feb. 2, he ranked 21th in total assists, 38th in assist per game and 44th in assist to turnover ratio in NCAA (led HL in same categories)
▪ Recorded career highs in points (22), assists (13), field goals made (seven), field goal attempts (nine) and three-pointers made (two), all against Texas Southern on Nov. 30
▪ Made 15 starts in 34 games played
▪ Led the Horizon League in assist/turnover ratio (2.8)
▪ 1-of-3 players to dish out more than 100 assists this season (103)
▪ Ranked sixth in Horizon League play in assists per game with 3.8
▪ Led the team in field goal percentage (.687)
▪ Member of state championship team in 2014-15
▪ Won the 2016 Detroit Public School League Mr. PSL award
▪ Named All-State by Detroit Free Press and Detroit News
▪ Led Cowboys with 15.1 points and added 4.5 assists per game en route to a perfect 26-0 season his junior year
Full Name: Brailen Lamarr Neely
Birthdate: May 6, 1997
Parents: Brandon and Carlen Neely
Siblings: Brandon and Baili
Top Three Reasons for Choosing Oakland
3. Proximity to home