Oakland Battles for 0-0 Tie Against St. Francis in Double OT

Sept. 15, 2013

Box Score

HUNTINGTON, W. Va. - Sean Lewis recorded a season-high five saves for his first career shutout with the Golden Grizzlies, as the Oakland men's soccer team (1-2-3) battled through two overtimes to a final score of 0-0 against St. Francis (4-1-1) Sunday afternoon at Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex.

"A really encouraging performance from our men as we got our first shutout of the season with great team defending and goalkeeping. Our men were warriors out there today for 110 minutes," said coach Eric Pogue. "Offensively, we created a number of great scoring opportunities, just lacked the final quality today to put a final finish past a tough St. Francis team. Although disappointed not to get the win today, and take away two wins from the weekend, we continue to take positive steps in the right direction for where we want to be come November, it's a process for a young team."

In the overtime periods, Lewis made two key saves, as he stopped two shots from St. Francis' Matt Loughnane in the 96th minute and the 110th minute. Joey Tinnion had two chances in the second overtime as he had his first opportunity saved by the keeper in the 107th minute and his second attempt went wide right in the 109th minute.

The Oakland offense put pressure on the Red Flash from the beginning as the Golden Grizzlies hit two posts in the opening half with Shawn Claud Lawson hitting the frame in the fifth minute and Miche'le Lipari striking the post in the 13th minute. In the second half, Gavin Hoy would also hit the post with a header in the 67th minute.

The Golden Grizzlies outshot the Red Flash 12-10 led by Tinnion who had three shots, two on goal, while Matt Rickard and Matt DeLang added one shot on goal apiece. St. Francis' Daniel Valcicak ended the match with five saves including three in the second half.

Oakland will be back home to the OU Soccer Field on Wednesday when they host IUPUI starting at 7 p.m.




Golden Grizzlies Photo Galleries