ROCHESTER, Mich. -- The Oakland men's soccer team (3-0) hits the road for the first time this season, when it visits No. 22 West Virginia (2-2-1) on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Golden Grizzlies began the season with a perfect record through three home games.
|Oakland (3-0) at No. 22 West Virginia (2-2-1)
Morgantown, W.Va. - September 9, 2012 - 1 p.m.
Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium (1,650)
||Oakland / West Virginia|
Adult Tickets $5, Senior/Youth Tickets $3
|Quick Facts||Oakland / West Virginia|
|Men's Soccer Coach's Show||Weekly Video Review / Preview|
||OUgrizzlies.com / WVUSports.com|
|Social Media||Follow Men's Soccer on Facebook and Twitter|
OAKLAND SOCCER NOTES
▪ Kyle Bethel scored his first goal of the season on an assist from Sean Claud Lawson to give Oakland a 1-0 win over Vermont in the team's last outing
▪ Scott Messer extended his unscored on streak over 270 minutes with a third consecutive shutout to start the season
▪ Dating back to last season, the Golden Grizzlies have not allowed a goal in 352 consecutive minutes of action
▪ The Mountaineers are ranked No. 22 in the Soccer America Polls, after being picked No. 9 in the nation in the Fox Soccer Preseason Poll
▪ After scoring two goals in 38 seconds, including the match-winner against New Hampshire, Miche'le
Lipari was named Summit Leauge Player of the Week
▪ Following the win over New Hampshire, the Golden Grizzlies came in sixth in the NSCAA Midwest Regional Rankings, which were released on Monday
▪ The Golden Grizzlies posted a 2-0-1 record during the preseason and never failed to score under two goals in a match
▪ Goalkeeper Wes Smith picked up the assist on Gavin Hoy's goal against defending Horizon League Champions Valparaiso
▪ The Golden Grizzlies were picked third in this season's Summit League Preseason Poll
▪ With the win over New Hampshire, the Golden Grizzlies are now 9-3-3 in the first home match of the season since joining the Division I ranks
▪ Four Oakland players were recognized by CollegeSportsMadness.com for preseason all-league honors. John Timm was named to the first team, while Johnny Dreshaj and Jeff Cheslik earned second team honors. Jacob Vanderlaan was named Preseason Freshman of the Year.
▪ Oakland has won 11 Summit League Championships during its first three years in The Summit League and advanced to five NCAA Tournaments.
▪ Be sure to check out postmatch coverage, which includes Grizz Vision interviews with the players and coaches