Sept. 27, 2012
ROCHESTER, Mich. -- Oakland (5-3, 1-0) will face defending league champions Western Illinois (2-5-2, 0-0-1) on Saturday at the OU Soccer Field at 7 p.m. The Golden Grizzlies are unbeaten at home this season..
|Oakland (5-3, 1-0-0 Summit) vs Western Illinois (2-5-2, 0-0-1 Summit)
Rochester, Mich. - September 29, 2012 - 7 p.m.
OU Soccer Field (1,000)
||Oakland / Western Illinois|
Adults - $5 ; Kids (12 under) $3; Kids (3 under) Free
Gates open at the OU Soccer Field one hour before kickoff
Western Illinois leads 11-7-1
||OUgrizzlies.com / GoLeathernecks.com|
|Social Media||Follow Men's Soccer on Facebook and Twitter|
OAKLAND SOCCER NOTES
▪ Matt Dudley scored the golden goal winner for in double-overtime as the Golden Grizzlies downed Duquesne 2-1 on Wednesday
▪ Dudley's goal was the first of his collegiate career, while Kyle Bethel's equalizer was his third of the season
▪ The Fighting Leathernecks won both the regular season and tournament titles in The Summit League last season
▪ Oakland currently boasts the No. 15 scoring offense in the nation
▪ With a 5-0 shutout win over Oral Roberts in the Summit League opener on Sunday, the Golden Grizzlies also improved to No. 14 in the NCAA in shutout percentage
▪ Kyle Bethel currently ranks No. 8 in the NCAA in both assists per game and total assists
▪ Scott Messer started the season with 275:27 minutes of scoreless action in the nets
▪ Lipari is the leading goal scorer for Oakland this season with four goals and ranks No. 32 in the nation in goals per game
▪ Dating back to the previous season, the Golden Grizzlies went 356:30 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal
▪ The Black and Gold announced captains for this season as John Timm, Nick Kristock and Lucas Diener
▪ Oakland is currently No. 6 in the NSCAA Midwest Regional Rankings and recently earned a No. 48 ranking in the TopDrawerSoccer.com National Ranking
▪ The Golden Grizzlies posted a 2-0-1 record during the preseason and never failed to score under two goals in a match
▪ The Golden Grizzlies were picked third in this season's Summit League Preseason Poll
▪ With the win over New Hampshire, the Golden Grizzlies are now 9-3-3 in the first home match of the season since joining the Division I ranks
▪ Four Oakland players were recognized by CollegeSportsMadness.com for preseason all-league honors. John Timm was named to the first team, while Johnny Dreshaj and Jeff Cheslik earned second team honors. Jacob Vanderlaan was named Preseason Freshman of the Year.
▪ Oakland has won 11 Summit League Championships during its first thirteen years in The Summit League and advanced to five NCAA Tournaments.
▪ Be sure to check out postmatch coverage, which includes Grizz Vision interviews with the players and coaches