Oct. 11, 2012
ROCHESTER, Mich. -- It will be a battle of Summit League unbeatens when Oakland (8-4, 3-0) hosts Kansas City (5-5-2, 3-0) on Saturday at the OU Soccer Field at 7 p.m. The Golden Grizzlies have outscored league opposition 13-1 this season.
|Oakland (8-4, 3-0-0 Summit) vs Kansas City (5-5-2, 3-0 Summit)
Rochester, Mich. - October 13, 2012 - 7 p.m.
OU Soccer Field (1,000)
||Oakland / Kansas City|
Adults - $5 ; Kids (12 under) $3; Kids (3 under) Free
Gates open at the OU Soccer Field one hour before kickoff
Oakland leads 12-5-1
||OUgrizzlies.com / UMKCKangaroos.com|
|Social Media||Follow Men's Soccer on Facebook and Twitter|
OAKLAND SOCCER NOTES
▪ The Golden Grizzlies had a five-match unbeaten streak snapped on Wednesday in a 1-0 loss at Michigan
▪ Oakland leads the nation in total goals scored (31) and in total points (92). The Golden Grizzlies rank third in scoring offense (2.82 ppg) and total assists (30)
▪ With a perfect 3-0 record, the Golden Grizzlies are tied for first place in The Summit League standings
▪ Oakland's Kyle Bethel received national recognition by being selected to the College Soccer New's, Team of the Week, he was also named Summit League Player of the Week by CollegeSoccerMadness.com
▪ Bethel and teammate John Timm were named Summit League Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week respectively
▪ Bethel currently leads the nation in total assists (10) and assists per game (0.91). He is in the top 25 in the NCAA in total points and points per game.
▪ Oakland is coming off back-to-back shutout wins over Detroit (4-0) and IUPUI (3-0) and ranks No. 11 in the nation with a .550 shutout percentage
▪ Bethel had a goal and four assists last week to move into a tie for The Summit League lead in points with 18 this season
▪ Scott Messer had six saves against IUPUI to earn his fourth solo shutout of the season. OU goalkeepers have kept six clean sheets this season
▪ Eliott Tarney made four saves and earned the save in his first start of the season against Detroit
▪ Oakland has outscored Summit League opponents 13-1 over the first three matches of the season
▪ OU tied for No. 5 in the NSCAA Midwest Regional Rankings, the Golden Grizzlies remain No. 46 in the TopDrawerSoccer.com National Ranking
▪ Scott Messer started the season with 275:27 minutes of scoreless action in the nets
▪ Miche'le Lipari is the leading goal scorer for Oakland this season with five goals and ranks No. 49 in the nation in goals and 55th in goals per-game.
▪ Dating back to the previous season, the Golden Grizzlies went 356:30 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal
▪ Messer, Dudley, Bethel, Timm and Lipari have all been named Summit League Player of the Week by the league office this season
▪ The Black and Gold announced captains for this season as John Timm, Nick Kristock and Lucas Diener
▪ The Golden Grizzlies posted a 2-0-1 record during the preseason and never failed to score under two goals in a match
▪ The Golden Grizzlies were picked third in this season's Summit League Preseason Poll
▪ With the win over New Hampshire, the Golden Grizzlies are now 9-3-3 in the first home match of the season since joining the Division I ranks
▪ Four Oakland players were recognized by CollegeSportsMadness.com for preseason all-league honors. John Timm was named to the first team, while Johnny Dreshaj and Jeff Cheslik earned second team honors. Jacob Vanderlaan was named Preseason Freshman of the Year.
▪ Oakland has won 11 Summit League Championships during its first thirteen years in The Summit League and advanced to five NCAA Tournaments.
▪ Be sure to check out postmatch coverage, which includes Grizz Vision interviews with the players and coaches