Oakland Faces Road Test at Notre Dame
The Golden Grizzlies kickoff at 1 p.m.
Sept. 22, 2012
NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- Oakland (3-2-3) hits the road to face Notre Dame (6-3-1) on Sunday at Alumni Field at 1 p.m. It will mark the first time that the Golden Grizzlies have faced the Fighting Irish since the 2006 NCAA Tournament.
OAKLAND SOCCER NOTES
▪ Oakland played to a 1-1 draw with Northwestern at the OU Soccer Field in its last outing
▪ After assisting on three goals over the weekend, Abigail Haelewyn became the NCAA leader in assists per-game
▪ Haelewyn was Summit League Offensive Player of the Week, while goalkeeper Shannon Coley was named Summit League Defensive Player of the Week and Kyla Kellermann was named Player of the Week for The Summit Leugue by CollegeMadness.com
▪ Shannon Coley earned her ninth career shutout against Northern Kentucky. She is now tied for fourth in career shutouts at Oakland with Jessica Howard.
▪ Kellermann now leads Oakland with five goals this season
▪ Coley was named Summit League Defensive Player of the Week, the league office announced on Monday. Coley posted a .923 save percentage for the week
▪ Scoring at a rate of 2.67 goals per game, the Golden Grizzlies currently rank 23rd in the NCAA in scoring offense
▪ Oakland fell to Michigan 1-0 in its last outing. Coley had five saves to finish the week with 12 saves and a .450 goals-against average for the week
▪ The scoreless tie with Michigan State marked the first time that OU has shutout MSU and snapped a streak of six consecutive losses for the Golden Grizzlies to the Spartans in 10 meetings
▪ Starting Wednesday Oakland plays three of four matches against opponents from the Big Ten (Michigan State, Michigan and Northwestern)
▪ Meghan Reynolds scored twice, including the extra-time match-winner, as Oakland beat Detroit 3-2 in its last outing
▪ Reynolds was named Summit League Player of the Week by the league on Tuesday, an honor she also received from CollegeSportsMadness.com
▪ Kyla Kellermann, who scored four goals and had one assist during the week, was named Summit League Player of the Week on Monday August 20
▪ Kellermann scored a hat trick against Rochester College, which tied for third most in single-game history at OU
▪ Haelewyn assisted on three goals in the match against Rochester College, which ties for fourth best in a single-game at Oakland
▪ The 47 shots that the Golden Grizzlies took against Rochester College are the second most in program history
▪ Oakland was tabbed as the favorite in The Summit League Preseason Coaches Poll for the 11th time in school history, just edging South Dakota State this season with five first-place votes